Walter Parker VC Square can be found off the main Derby Road that runs through the centre of Stapleford
Why is the Square in Stapleford named after Walter Parker VC?
Walter Parker was a local man who worked at the Stanton Ironworks prior to the First World War. In 1914 he enlisted in the Royal Marines and during his service in 1916 was awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery and gallantry while under enemy fire at Gaba Tepe, Gallipoli, Turkey on the 1st May 1915. His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Royal Marines Museum, Portsmouth.
Lance Corporal Walter Parker was responsible for taking aid to an isolated unit during hostilities at Gaba Tepe and despite being severely injured during his mission he continued to attend to the needs of others. He never fully recovered from his injuries and died, aged 55, on 28th November 1936 and was buried in Stapleford cemetery. His grave is maintained by the local Royal Marines Association (RMA) and may be visited at any time.
A Memorial Service, in his honour, is held annually at St Helens Church Stapleford on the Sunday nearest 30th April by the local RMA. In April 2010 the Service was marked with a parade through the Town.
The Walter Parker VC Square was created as part of improvements to the Town in 2000. It was officially opened and dedicated to the memory of Lance Corporal Walter Parker VC on 1st August 2000.