The Carnegie Centre
A grant from the Carnegie Trust allowed for a Carnegie Free Library to be built in what was then Towle Avenue, Stapleford in 1906. As the site had previously been part of the grounds of Stapleford Hall, owned by the Borlasse-Warren family Towle Avenue was later renamed Warren Avenue.
This building served the community as a library until 1981 when it was replaced by premises purpose built by Nottinghamshire County Council to meet the needs of modern library users. The original library building then stood derelict for a number of years until in 1987 it was purchased, together with the adjacent former fire station premises, by the newly reconstituted Town Council.
Work was undertaken to refurbish the building and in October 1988 the renovated Carnegie Centre was officially opened by Lord Richard Attenborough, whose grandparents had once owned a bakery at the Roach, Stapleford.
Today, the Carnegie Centre is the home of Stapleford Town Council. All Town Council business is conducted here and the Town Council meets on a regular basis to discuss the pertinent issues of the day. Many events are hosted at the premises, including the Annual Town's Meeting, coffee mornings etc. Local community groups also host meetings and events in the premises.
Broxtowe Borough Council's Cash Office is situated within the building, while Broxtowe Youth Homelessness is housed in the annexe in the car park. The building is a hub of activity and the Town Council is always delighted when Members of the public who wish to express an opinion and have their say on local affairs attend Council Meetings or contact the Town Clerk's Office.
In 2006 the Carnegie Centre celebrated its centenary with much nostalgia and amazement at what had been achieved over the last 100 years. This building has been a lynch pin in proudly serving the needs of the local community and hopefully will continue to do so throughout the 21st Century.